2.09.2007

About academic integrity under powerful world of internet (A serious lesson to me)

Up to this point, I am still taking my blog as mostly a personal tool for emotional and intellectual reflection. However, this is only a subjective perception and I should not ignore the fact that internet is a power tool for getting any information by anyone, i.e., no matter how private I consider my blog is, this is still a public space.

I wrote this reflection due to a recent event that a facult friend pointed out that I had quoted a paragraph from a proposal in my previous entry without acknowledging the author's credit to it. Moreover, it is not permitted to circulated it online without the permission of the author. I put the original quote out of the intention to remind myself how wonderful an argument can be put within such short space. Although I didn't intend to quote and circuate without recognizing the authorship, it is indeed an action that I need to be cautious about while being a member in academic circle. I have corrected it and made apology to the original author. I also learned to be more cautious about what I can put online. This is a note to myself and to the possible reader to this site.

No comments: